In class, I have learned how to paraphrase completely by taking the original author's thoughts and putting them into my own words. I first need to read the passage fully, to a place where I understand exactly what the author is saying, and have no questions at all. I then think of original words and phrases to write down that has the same meaning as the author's but looks completely different. After that, I go through and make sure that I haven't left any of the author's points out, and that I did not add any other, non irrelevant, thoughts to it.
This is what I learned and understand:
- Only use a direct quote when it adds power and style to my writing
- Always make it clear, from context, that I understand the full meaning of the quote
- Whether I quote or paraphrase, I must always be transparent about the source and how I'm using it
- If I use another author's exact words or phrases, to any extent, I have to use the quotation marks and give credit
- If I use another author's presentation of facts to ideas, but put their ideas in my own words, (paraphrase) I better have a good reason for doing so, and I MUST give credit
- Hyperlinking is so easy, there is no excuse for not being transparent about my sources
No comments:
Post a Comment